Life > The Fur Industry Grows And With It The Suffering

Posted on February 13, 2015

Rebeca Rojo on the rise of the fur trade and all that's wrong with it
“The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans anymore than black people were made for white, or women created for men.” – Alice Walker, author of The Color Purple.

According to PETA each year, approximately 50 million minks, foxes, rabbits and beavers are raised on farms around the world only to be slaughtered for their fur. And what for? Style. To look ‘good’.

The fur industry has grown by 70% over the last 10 years and is worth £9billion annually, this despite 58% of people believing the use of fur is unethical. Perhaps the other 42% don’t really know how products are made.

85% of the fur industry’s skin comes from animals living captive in fur factory farms. Animals live in unbearably small cages, in fear, diseases and infested with parasites; many if not all suffer psychologically. And all for the sake of a global industry that does nothing but feed ego.

The most common fur animals are minks and foxes. These are instinctually wild animals which have never been domesticated. As a result they can’t adapt to lives in captivity, even those bred in fur farms. According to a website Last Chance For Animals, “ranch-raised minks are confined to a 12 inch by 18 inch cage. This type of intensive confinement can result in self-mutilation, cannibalism, and high-levels of stress that weaken the immune system and makes animals more susceptible to disease.”

Animals live in unbearable small cages, in fear, diseases and infested with parasites; many if not all suffer psychologically.

It’s difficult to understand how fur remains popular given that most are not ignorant to the ethical dilemma of wearing it. Part of the problem is endorsement by celebrity. Rihanna recently wore a fur-trimmed coat at the Lanvin show at Paris Fashion Week. Her post on Instagram racked up 367,000 likes. While her followers weren’t ‘liking’ the fur, it doesn’t mean they weren’t being influenced to buy it in future. It wouldn’t take much effort for Rhianna to simply not wear fur, and she’d be no doubt saving the lives of many innocent animals.

The one thing that links every living creature on this planet is the instinct to survive. The difference is that we’re aware of ourselves. We’ve a moral compass; we have the ability to choose not to do bad things, like skinning an animal to look good. We just have to look in their eyes and not through them, to see and feel their pain. Rihanna’s choices would make us believe that perhaps she doesn’t have that ability.

Next time you go to a shop and have the desire to buy a fur coat or a fur trimmed bag, instead of looking at the beauty of it, and how exceptional you look in it, pop your head into the dark side and picture the creatures that are suffering this very moment, by being de-skinned or being traumatised just for an expensive coat!

Ultimately this is an industry based on money. This is a game where money conquers all, even the harshest treatment of the cutest animals. And this is sadly a trait that sullies the human race. Charlie Chaplin perhaps sums it up best in The Great Dictator with the lines “Greed has poisoned man’s soul… We think too much and feel too little.”

Rebeca Rojo

Share

, ,

3 Responses to The Fur Industry Grows And With It The Suffering

  1. Laura October 27, 2017 at 10:09 am #

    I really enjoyed reading this article and I find that I can agree with many of your points; animals are living creatures and not simply just a fashion accessory. Animals should not have to suffer in order for humans to follow the ‘recent trends’. Thank you for putting this into words through your article.

  2. Jacque November 30, 2017 at 11:27 am #

    Great article! By not buying from these fashion brands that use animal furs for their clothings, we can actually help these animals from being tortured.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Exposure Asks… Racism, Animal Cruelty, Mental Health And More… | Exposure - April 21, 2015

    […] You can also read Exposure articles on related issues here and here. […]

Leave a Reply

Films

Exposure celebrates the great work being created by young women in...

Exposure finds out what it takes to get into journalism

New video - Exposure connects with the social media based business...